Microwave Radiation

Whenever a microwave oven is turned on, radioactive energy is produced causing the water in food to vibrate rapidly. This rapid vibration produces heat, which in turn cooks the food. The energy produced by a microwave oven can also penetrate through living tissue which is why exposure is harmful to our health.

Once you turn off the oven, the microwaves disappear but until then, you may be exposing yourself to dangerous levels of radiation leakage.

The Cause

Slamming the door, dirt or food particles caught in the door seals and hinges, or basic wear and tear all cause the oven door to slightly separate from the oven enclosure. Once this happens, invisible, but highly dangerous microwaves leak through the small space and cause irreversible damage and injury to the user

Tests Performed

The unit is inspected for any obvious physical damage to ensure safety as per AS/NZS 3760:2010 and AS/NZS 60335.2.25 Household and similar electrical appliances – Safety – Particular requirements for microwave ovens including combination microwave ovens.

Our expert technicians then complete a Radiation Leakage Inspection on your Microwave Oven on site in accordance with AS/NZS 60335.2.25. This involves the measurement of radiation levels around the oven using an advanced Microwave Radiation Leakage Detector to ensure they are below limits specified in AS/NZS 60335.2.25.  Please note domestic radiation leakage detectors DO NOT comply with OH & S specifications for testing equipment, and DS Built technicians only use specialist equipment.

DS Built technicians also complete an electrical safety test in accordance with AS/NZS 3760:2010. Once the unit has been tested and passed, a sticker detailing AS/NZS 60335.2.25certification label indicating radiation and power levels is affixed to the front door of the Microwave to clearly display the unit is safe to use.  A tag detailing AS/NZS 3760:2010 compliance is affixed to the power lead.

Pass Or Fail

If the unit fails testing, a failed appliance sticker is affixed to the front door of the Microwave. DS Built technicians ensure key staff are made aware of the faulty appliance and the Microwave is then removed from service in order to provide a safe workplace